Enter your Email

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Baba Ali's Project Update

Bismillah ar-Rahmaan ar-Raheem,

After Ramadan, I plan to make a decision to do Season 3 or not. The problem is not the lack of topics (don't worry I still got plenty that I need to get off my chest) but rather the issue is time. Although the videos look really simple, they do take a lot of time to write, edit, film, video edit, and produce. All and all I would guess it take around 15hrs for each video. Unlike most performers/speakers, this isn't my full time thing and I work a normal job with a normal life (well, somewhat normal).

Anyways, recently I have been brainstorming a new project for Ummah Films which will be different than the Reminder series. I looking into holding a poetry slam InshAllah but done in a unique way. Imagine something like HBO's Def Poetry but with an Islamic Twist. The human voice is powerful and when words come from the heart and that heart is connected to your deen, its even more powerful. Nothing is written in stone yet but I have been playing around ideas so I hope this can work out. I'm not much of the type that is going to hype something up and not follow through so I don't want to announce anything yet but rather at this time, I'm just trying to connect with people who can help put this together. I"m not looking to make money off of this so maybe we can give the proceeds to a good cause or something. I want the project to be beneficial so if you know someone that is on the same page and has not just words but has a unique gift of deliver them, then please email us at info@ummahfilms.com InshAllah.

Baba Ali
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Looking to get married?
Visit Baba Ali's Muslim Marriage site halfourdeen.com

7 Comments:

At September 07, 2007 3:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ali, I'm willing to help ... email me at bor3e@comcast.net

 
At September 08, 2007 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Salaamu Alaykum,
Well borther maybe you should take more time making them than stopping all together. I mean people would rather watch the videos late than never. So like instead of taking one month take two, it's better than nothing.
We really got attached to your videos, MashAllah they're very good.
Salaam,
a fan.

 
At September 08, 2007 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoop whoop

 
At September 08, 2007 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

asalamoalikum!

i came across ur vb a day back...ran into it on you tube!n i have completed both the seasons now,n sent the hijab one to all ma frnds. n told every one i cud bout ummah films,
i really look up to ppl like u..who r actually makin sum real gud use of life! i wish i cud do sumthin gud like this too!
i ws touched by ur videos n im sure many others too,plzz contniue ur gud work. make this ur full time hahaha..as ppl r lookin forward to ur words.
jazakallahhu khiar!

 
At September 09, 2007 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Asalamu Alaykum wr wb brother Ali,
PLEASE don't stop making "those litle vidioes" :) .. Just like the brother before me said, take some time off if needed and then come back strong inshaAllah.
Anyways, hope you are doing well iinshaAllah.
Asalam =)

 
At September 09, 2007 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you guys focus on the Muslim poetry slam instead? I know that Ali is really looking for feedback on that! :)

 
At September 11, 2007 7:59 AM, Blogger ''isa ibn marco cabassa jr. said...

as-salaamu alaykum,

I think that a poetry slam type of thing is a great idea.

The thing about it though is that is it going to require all the people involved in it to video themselves reading their poetry? That can be difficult.

Back in the day, I ran poetry nights at cafe's and have some experience in putting something together like this.

Because of the fact that your audience and perspective writers are all over the world, and everyone has different webcams and stuff, if you are going to have people submit videos then I think that the quality is going to suffer greatly and you shouldn't do this.

Think about it, if person A is using a camcorder like yours, with all the proper lighting equiptment and knowledge of how to frame a shot etc makes a video, then person B with the 10 dollar webcam mounted in their dark basement bedroom makes a video, you wouldn't want to put both of them on the same DVD and say it is some good.

If you can get all the people together then film it with your equiptment, then that would be great. But the reality of this is very very very very very unlikely.

I had an idea floating in my head for awhile and perhaps if you would like to this route, it may work. That is put out a book of poetry. Make the book good. Have serious prouse in it along with really solid poetry. Have the pages be glossy with great type set, an awesome cover etc. Basically make the whole book of poetry be a work of art itself.

Then sell the book on your website.


If you think this is a good idea, and want help in making it work, then send me an email and I will be glad to be assistance in anyway that I can, insha'allaah.

Or if you just want any sort of advise or anything else feel free to email me.

May Allaah reward you for your efforts.

Salaam,

'isa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home