Enter your Email

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Going up North - Muslim Road Trip

Bismillah ar-Rahmaan ar-Raheem,

I started writing the script for the script for "Going Up North" and about 10 pages have been written. Basically, the story is about a group of brothers taking a road trip to an Islamic Conference, traveling from Los Angeles to San Francisco. There idea of listening to CDs for the entire trip is quickly dissolved when they CD player stops working and they don't have anything to do but to talk to each other. There are four main charactors, Musa, Hamza, Shareef, & Yusef, each having their own unique personality. I got about 10 pages so far and I hope to get some more done by tonight.

HAMZA(looking outside his window at a new car)
Those new models are tight?
SHAREEF
Yeah they are but they cost a grip
MUSA
Bro, you can buy a house back home for the price you pay for new car here.
HAMZA
That’s crazy huh? Hey Yusef, don’t you have a new car
YUSEF
Yeah. Alhamdulillah
SHAREEF
Its not his car, its the bank’s car (laughing)
HAMZA
Its the bank’s car?
YUSEF
Yeah I got a new car. Don’t listen to this joker, he doesn’t know what his talking about.
SHAREEF (looking outside his window)
Hamza, you think these people actually own their cars? Yeah right. The banks do. All I know is that you won’t see me signing my name on a ball & chain riba contract. That’s for sure.
YUSEF
I didn’t buy my car, I’m leasing it. And no, I didn’t sign a riba contract.
MUSA
Ding! Ding! (making bell sound) Round one goes to Yusef (Hamza smiling)
SHAREEF
I never said you signed a riba contract. But since we are on the riba subject, why don’t you tell our studio audience how you purchased that fancy house on top of the richy-richy hill.
YUSEF
Its not my house, its my parents and I can’t control what they do.
SHAREEF
But your car is still the bank’s car.
YUSEF
How you figure?
SHAREEF
Leasing = borrowing. Leasing does not equal “mine”.
YUSEF
I send checks every month to lease the car and the car is mine to drive around
SHAREEF
Who do send the checks to?
YUSEF
The bank
SHAREEF
I would like to present exhibit “A” as evidence to the court.
MUSA
Ding-Ding! Round two goes to Shareef.
SHAREEF
So its not your car, but you paying money so you can “borrow” the car from the bank. So....you are driving around the bank’s car
HAMZA
(laughing)
YUSEF
Whatever bro.
MUSA
(smiling) Throw in the towel Yusef, he has you cornered.
HAMZA
How miles is it to get there?
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Looking to get married?
Visit Baba Ali's Muslim Marriage site halfourdeen.com

5 Comments:

At February 15, 2006 2:59 PM, Blogger Edward Ott said...

cool, i would definatly go see it or buy the dvd how ever you decide to release it. The Ummah needs more films and stories like this.
i have a friend who works in hollywood and he is disgusted sometimes by how bad the movies are.

salam

 
At February 04, 2007 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalaam 'alaikum Ummah Films!

Masha Allah, sounds interesting, even though I didnt quite understand some of the dialogue hehe. But seriously, I like it so far, I'd actually probably enjoy coming up with some ideas or dialogue if you need some help :D!

 
At February 08, 2007 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is there more?

 
At February 08, 2007 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is there more?

 
At August 06, 2007 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So are you going to reveal if leasing is haram or halal.. eventually? I actually was waiting for that point? The script is about a serious issue in an effectively comical way. What would complete it, is that it address the permissibility of some of these economic issues. KEEP IT UP BABA ALI!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home